Just Rediscovered This Blog After Abandonment

Hello people that ever so kindly still receive feeds from my blog! So it’s summertime and less than a month until I return to the fabulous Mary Wash. A lot has happened since I abandoned this blog in December, so here’s a brief overview:

• Realized international affairs was my calling
  • Spanish gets on my nerves, hence why I’ll begin German in the fall
  • I got a job
  • Realized psychology isn’t my thing
  • Had a hectic finals week due to the passing of my grandmother
  • Jealousy of Jayne’s adventures

And a few things far and between. However, as I drove around the marvelous countrysides of rural Virginia, my mind once more began to wander to a place where it has been going, to my deceased grandmother and the linage of my genetics.

Mimi, as I so lovingly called her, lived through the epitome of the world and always told me these fabulous stories that incorporate what globalization is really all about. Born and raised in Salisbury, Wiltshire, England, she was the daughter of Alfred Courtney– antique salesman/retired WWI sailor of the Royal Navy/Mayor of Salisbury(1944-1945) and his wife Annie. Some of the stories about him include the following: (1) On April 14, 1912, Sailor Alfred was prepared to board the maiden voyage of a fancy little ship called the RMS Titanic. However, he was intoxicated and picked a fight with another sailor, and was not permitted to board. (2)He met Queen Elizabeth when she was Princess Elizabeth, and thought of her as a snot. ¬†His mother, Emily, had an even richer history¬†correlation. She was born in either 1840 or 1841 in Cornwall. At the age of 16, she married her husband who came from a wealthy family, related to the Earl of Devon, who worked on the very first railroad and died at age 32. Emily was left with 6 children, and worked in a glove factory throughout her life(Industrial Revolution) until she became ill with the “flu”, which left her paralyzed in bed in my grandmother’s childhood home(it isn’t specified what type of flu, but I put my full money on it being the Spanish Influenza due to the time period). She lived to be 99 years old,shortly before WWII broke out.

My grandmother always recalled WWII vividly, as she survived the Battle of Britain and recalls her town being “man-less”(her brother signed up for the war the moment the announcement was made; she said he wasn’t the same when he returned home.)At the age of 18 during WWII, my grandmother met my grandfather, an American soldier and they wed in England and soon had my uncle. She agreed to go back to Appomattox County, Virginia(to live on a farm no less)with him by boat. So alone with her 1 year old son, boarded a ship straight towards Ellis Island to be picked up by my grandfather, who was by then discharged. I won’t go into detail about her trip to Ellis Island, as they are alarming. But for the rest of her life, she kept her British pride and passed it, along with many other stories to me.

In my life since summer, I have been working at a Christian summer camp for elementary kids. On a daily basis I see Koreans, Chinese, and Vietnamese children who are a joy to work with(not to mention they teach me some of their languages), which is surprising due to my location in the world. Globalization.

So yes, my life is ever so increasingly global. But that’s just the day in the life of an International Affairs major.

Sorry, Comments are closed.