Final Blog Reflection

So here I am at the end of the road, one full semester of college behind me. Nothing in high school could prepare me for college, no amount of AP classes or dual-enrollment classes could have helped. College was something I had nearly thought about over the course of thirteen years. I never actually thought I’d make here, mainly because I didn’t know what to expect. I was being forced out of my comfortable home in the middle of nowhere in Hicktown, USA and into “the real world”.  Well, I quickly learned the real world is full of earthquakes, aftershocks, tornadoes, and hurricanes. I was shaken by the new culture, the shocks of how much people party, the whirlwind speed of lectures, and the torrents of finals. But everything was new and everything was worldly.

I chose to take my FSEM on Globalization for several reasons: I love learning about the world and I liked the subject when I learned about it in AP Comparative Government. I knew the basis of what globalization was, but I didn’t really know how to separate the pros and cons of it. At the beginning of the course, I was on the borderline of whether I’m pro-globalization or anti-globalization. Today, I am off that fence.

Globalization has helped the world in recent years. It has modernized countries, cities, and economies all over the world. For example, it has allowed communist China to develop a modern capitalist economy, nearly overtaking the United States in world power. Once homogeneous cultures are now experiencing other people’s cultures, making them worldy. Fifty years ago you couldn’t get Thai food in America, but now you just look in the phone book and there it is(and they might even deliver).America is a society of immigrants, myself included(Grandmother came over from England with her American husband in 1946).Globalization has connected the world together since the internet was created. People are communicating from Simpson Library here in Fredericksburg with people in Madrid. All of this seemed impossible thirty years ago, but now it is a reality. Twitter, as I keep stressing, is a major component of globalization. The Arab Spring was partially fueled by Twitter, and when something happens in the world, no matter where, it pops up on Twitter and trends in minutes. The world has gotten smaller, countries are more connected, and the global economy is well….global.

However, I’m more on the anti-globalization side of the fence. I personally think more bad is going to come out of this than good. Yes, I like the internet. In fact, I love the internet. I’m on it way more than I need to be. I check my Facebook, then I check my Twitter, I check my Hotmail, I check my Tumblr, then I check MSN, then I decide I need to check my Twitter again, I listen to Spotify, buy a song on iTunes,then I go on Stumbleupon to distract myself a little more. This is a sad factor of my generation. I feel way more comfortable chatting online than conversing in public, which I feel like will come back to haunt me in the future. I also feel like on the global level, it is going to make the world pay. The homogeneous cultures, like what was in Britain, are going away. When my grandmother lived there, there weren’t many Indians or Pakistanis. Just a troop during World War II, a good deal of American troops, some Irish troops, a few Canadians, a few French, and a couple of Aussies. That was it. Everyone was English, everyone was pretty much Anglican, everyone spoke English(and if you went to school, you learned Latin and French). Now there are mosques everywhere and people from all over the world are immigrated, taking away the British homogeneous. Even though I’m not British and have never been there, I’m proud of my heritage. And it makes me sad to know that the Britain my grandmother grew up in or the Britain my government teacher knew is different(don’t let me get started on the terrorism there, aka. IRA). When it comes to international affairs such as the UN, I feel like we(America) are playing with fire, for example sanctioning North Korea and Iran. I feel like that’s not going to have a good ending as Mr.Ahmadinejad and Mr. Jong-il probably don’t approve. When it comes to the European Union, I feel like it’s taking away each country’s rights. Soon they might develop their own country, Europeanese. By adopting the Euro and allowing free travel across borders, the younger generation thinks of themselves as European, not German, not French, not Italian, but European. Along with the EU monitoring all things monetary, you have countries like Italy and Greece which are collapsing before our eyes and could damage this global economy. The world, in my opinion, is just getting too small for its own good.

I could also go into a few personal reasons why I don’t like globalization, but part of them are scattered around this blog.

Taking this class helped me solidify my viewpoints on globalization. Perhaps one day, my mind will change. I may meet my future husband off EHarmony or I could make it big being a star on Youtube and be the next Rebecca Black. Everything is uncertain. Perhaps my claims above will be proven wrong, and maybe I’ll get an e-mail a couple of years from now from Dr.Greenlaw stating, “Haha Sam, you were wrong”. Until then, I will stand by my belief that globalization is a deal with the devil.

Sorry, Comments are closed.